June Dress Pattern Review

Confession…I have O.C.D., so I put off cutting my fabric for as long as possible.  Granted, this dress pattern is still fairly new, so it’s not THAT bad this time, but still.  Something will inevitably not line up and stress me out.  But, I made a special trip for the fabric and my daughter picked out fabric for a dress to make for a friend.  So, guilt set in and I got to cutting.

To say I overbought was an understatement!  I always like to have extra fabric for dolls, hair accessories and/or purses.  I have enough fabric to make 4 dresses (in the largest size), 4 purses AND hair accessories.  I purchased 3 yards of 2 different main prints, 1/4 yard of the pocket fabric and I found the fabric for the side panels on clearance.  It was about 1/2 a yard.  Waaay more than you need.

All told, I spent right around $65 at Hobby Lobby.  This included 2 spools of ribbon, some findings that were half off and not related to this project and 2 packages of 1/2″ elastic (again, more than you’ll need).  This adds up to less than $15 per dress figuring I’ll get accessories out of this as well.  And not everything I bought was needed to make the dress.

Printing/Cutting

Buy your pattern for the June Dress.  I printed the pieces on cardstock so they’d be easy to trace onto my fabric.  But can we take a minute to appreciate how perfectly those pieces lined up!  It was beautiful!!

Perfectly lined up. And I wasn't even trying!
Perfectly lined up. And I wasn’t even trying!

Anyhow, I opted not to print the rectangles since they’d be easy enough to measure.  If you don’t have a rotary cutter, mat, and ruler, I’d print off all of the pieces.

I always cut as many pieces at once as I can, to save time.  However, there really are not a lot of “moving” parts.  I made 6 cuts, not including the ribbon and elastic.  As far as prep goes, this wasn’t bad at all.  Coming from me, that’s saying something.  I can drag out the simplest of tasks into a lifelong commitment.

IMG_6336 IMG_6334

Assembly

ALWAYS read all instructions first!  Even reading ahead, I still missed #7 about turning right side out!!  Needless to say, I stared at the pattern, dumbfounded, until I decided to work my way backwards.  When I realized my mistake, I was relieved.  It was a simple fix (ripping out 3 seams).  But I was sooo frustrated that it had to come to this.  My seam ripper and I are sworn frenemies.

I made it throught that debacle, sewed my pockets and attached the side panels to the front skirt.  Finishing has always been a weak area for me, so when she said “serger”, I panicked.  1. I don’t have a serger (yet) 2. I wasn’t sure how to finish the seam to stop it from fraying.  Then, I remembered that my machine has an overlock stitch, (one reason I purchased a fancy machine was for all of the special stitches that I don’t use…) and voila!  Problem solved.

IMG_6344
Overlock stitch before trimming SA
IMG_6347
Overlock stitch after trimming. Nice and tidy 🙂

Now to gather .  Not my favorite sewing task.

After you’ve pinned your gathers, sewn them down and finished your seams (again), it’s time to turn it right-side out!  Topstitch your bodice after pressing and try it on your model(s).

 

 

IMG_6377

IMG_6367
LOVE the back of this dress!!
Another "fancy" stitch I tried.
Another “fancy” stitch I tried.

Now I’m off to Etsy to buy some more patterns! My next patterns will be this pinafore and the peasant dress.  But I really, really, want to sew this beauty.

Come back Wednesday for our next pattern review!  It’s a fun one 🙂

Signature

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *